Monday, June 23, 2008

Nashville Star

Long gone are the days when I stood in line to make sure that I got to see Nashville Star every week. It's hard to believe it's only been a year, or that this is the show that produced two of my favorite artists -- Chris Young and Miranda Lambert.

I watched last week. I saw absolutely no talent, which was unfortunate. I watched people sing Bon Jovi and John Mayer (not country). I watched someone sing "He Stopped Loving Her Today" (poorly, because the person was NOT George Jones), and the crowd boo Jeffrey Steele when he criticized the person for singing the greatest song in the history of country music without giving it 100 percent. He was right, by the way. I watched everyone kiss Jewel's ass and tell people to buy her CD. I think I've seen my only episode of Nashville Star this year. Thank God that I didn't stand in line to watch it in person. Although they might've kicked me out for booing everyone, anyhow. They couldn't hear me over in West Nashville doing that -- or maybe they could. I was passionate.

This is the description of tonight's episode from NashvilleStar.com:


June 22nd, 2008
POP GOES COUNTRY AS THE SEARCH FOR THE NEXT "NASHVILLE STAR" CONTINUES
TUNE IN THIS MONDAY FOR A TWO-HOUR EPISODE FEATURING APPEARANCES BY SALT N PEPA, DANITY KANE AND AN ALL SING BACKED BY A 50 PERSON CHOIR
Ten acts remain all competing be named the next "Nashville Star." Special guests Salt n Pepa add a little spice in week three of the competition and the sexy girl group Danity Kane heats things up when pop goes country. Hear cross-over versions of your favorite top 20 hits interpreted by the competing artists topped off with an all sing featuring a 50 person choir. This is the biggest episode yet! Host Billy Ray Cyrus ("Hannah Montana") joins celebrity judges/mentors, singer-songwriter and acclaimed producer John Rich, multi-platinum singer-songwriter and three-time Grammy nominee Jewel and acclaimed industry heavy weight and BMI Songwriter of the Year (2006) Jeffery Steele in the search for a true artist.


Where are they going to find this true artist? At the end are they going to proclaim John Rich and Jewel the winners? I had just earned respect for Billy Ray after his last CD, and it's disappearing quickly. This show blows, and I would not buy a CD or go to a concert from anyone who's in the running this year.

Apparently no one is going to sing country tonight, so I won't be missing anything if I watch two more episodes of House from Michelle's DVDs.

Country music does not need American Idol. In fact, we already have Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler and Bucky Covington. Surely, that is punishment enough.

If you hear the ground shake tonight, I'm sure it's Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Hank and Waylon rolling in their graves. This is the worst thing since Billy Ray's mullet and American flag button-up shirts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home