Thursday, March 01, 2007

Nashville Star Prediction

As I type this, Zac Hacker is singing "Lady" on my iTunes (not my iPod, which is broken), so I will come right out and say that I am somewhat biased, but I'm also a realist.

In my heart of hearts, I want Zac Hacker to win tonight. I adore Zac Hacker. I will buy every CD he puts out and follow his bus around America. Yes, my friends, I am a "Hacker Backer" in a bad way.

That's why I was distressed to see the very non-scientific poll picking the winner on the Nashville Star Web site. That poll has Zac Hacker to come in dead-last tonight, with David St. Romain in 2nd and Zac's sister Angela, going home with the Chevy Silverado and the recording contract.

Angela has been the odds-on favorite since Day One. She has some pipes, and she does a great job. Her original song was very good. I have said since a few weeks in that I thought winning Nashville Star would be Angela's only chance at a recording contract, and I still believe that. Not because she's not talented -- she's one of the most talented women I've seen in this town. She just doesn't have the look that women in country music are "supposed" to have. For clarification on what I mean: Whitney Duncan very much had that look. Talent? Not so much.

David St. Romain is the long-shot in this competition. He has improved every week. He's cute. He knows how to get the crowd going. He was definitely my favorite behind Zac. His songwriting still needs some improvement, but I envision he'll be someone more like Kenny Chesney who may not be the best writer but has a knack for picking good songs and giving people a rocking live show. I'd buy David's CD if he puts one out.

So, why should Zac Hacker win?

Quite simply, I think he's the most talented and has the best chance of having a successful career in country music. He writes great songs. His voice moves me. He makes me swoon. He's a great guitar player. I could live without the sparkly clothes, but it'll keep Manuel in business. I wasn't sure about Zac in the beginning when people said they figured it'd be he and Angela in the final round. But he grew on me each and every week. He grew as an artist, and it made me even more of a fan.

There are a few scenarios that folks keep mentioning.

One I heard right from the get-go last week was that Zac and Angela would split the "Hacker Backer" vote, and David would win. Honestly, it could happen.

The other scenario, which I like more, is that that there are girls that will vote for Angela because she's a girl; there are girls who will vote for David because he's cute; and then Zac will get all the male votes and win.

I'm generally a pragmatist when it comes to playing the ponies. I don't pick because of cute names or what color their silks are. I look at the stats, the jockey and their last few workouts before I make my bets. That's why I'm very surprised that I am going 100 percent on emotion for my prediction here. I'm going with my heart, but mostly because my head says that this race is going to be way too close to call.

With that, I predict that at 10 p.m. tonight, we'll all be talking about Zac Hacker, the next Nashville Star.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home